- Jason Momoa has really nice armpits.
- Rose McGowan is a bad villain. Or just a bad actress in general.
- The CGI was okay, although it wasn't as polished as, let's say, The Rise of The Planet of The Apes. The tentacle monster thing was made obviously fake by 3D.
- Seeing Conan's dad give his wife an impromptu ceasarean was interesting, to say the least.
- When you've already rated the movie R-13, DON'T CUT. If people don't heed the warning, then that's their fault. Stupid censorship is stupid.
- The incestuous undertones between Khalar Zym and Mariq is not as disturbing as the octopus mask of power. Yes, that's how weird it is.
- Watching the Conan and Tamara "love story" unfold is like reading a PWP ("Plot, what plot"; fanfiction term). Who cares about the story as long as there is sex inside a cave? And a shot of Jason's incredibly toned gluteus maximus?
- Seriously though, the love angle? No, not working.
- Also, stop casting African-American men as sidekicks who are not even in the best part of the movie. It's insulting.
- Did I already mention how annoying the cuts are? Okay, good.
- The blood spatter action was crayzeh. It's either these people are incredibly strong or ancient humans were made of watermelons.
- This movie, for some reason, made me want to see what would happen if the bad guys won. And they could've, if they didn't waste a lot of time orating.
- I think the scriptwriters of Conan used to work for FPJ Productions.
- A weak premise produces a weak movie, no matter how much you spend on special effects.
- I rate this movie 6.5/10. 3 for my love of Jason + 2 for the gore + 1.5 for the free popcorn I got. C'mon, if I started a review with an observation about armpits, you shouldn't have expected too much.
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Random Review: Conan the Barbarian
I think I'm better at being random so here goes: